Monday, November 28, 2011

Challenging my false belief systems

To that end, this is what I have accomplished and will continue to reinforce:

1. I will not avoid exposure to the misfortunes of others, since avoidance does not solve anything and can actually reinforce the fear

2. I recognize that I react emotionally to the misfortunes of others in a manner that is beyond one individual sympathizing for another, but to the point where I actually internalize their misfortune and truly believe that I have, may have, or may one day have the same problem as them

3. I recognize that it is not a hard-wired reaction, but that it stems from a false belief system

4. I recognize that the false belief system is that if I sympathize enough and internalize their tragedy, I can either help them or prevent myself from having the same problem. I recognize that the false belief system involves fallacies related to hypochondria (if I know of an illness I am likely to get it myself or should try to avoid or prevent it; worrying about illnesses will help me prevent them, catch them earlier, or make me more able to cope if I do get them) and paranoia (thinking that if it’s bad and it’s out there, it’s likely to happen to me).

I challenge those belief systems, by knowing, understanding and reinforcing the facts that:

1. Sympathizing with other people’s tragedies does not help them at all

2. In fact, staying above and separate from their tragedy is more helpful. If every doctor would think they have what the patient has, they would have difficulty remaining separate enough to treat the patient, or if every firefighter would run into a burning building without safety equipment and a rescue plan, who will save the victims? A person needs to see other people’s problems as being the problems of the other person, and needs to care but not personalize and internalize it so that they can maintain their status as separate from the person with the problem, thus enabling them to help.

3. Knowing or hearing of a problem that someone else has does not make it any more likely that I will have that problem

4. Worrying that I may get the same issue that someone else has will not make me more able to prevent or cope with it if it does

5. Every time I did overly sympathize and internalize someone else’s illness, it never actualized and in many cases what their issue was not even applicable to me as a male, etc.

6. The people to whose misfortunes I’ve internalized throughout my life have been

i. Not me (exactly that: individuals other than me who should not be compared to me)

ii. Vastly different from me (unable to understand the trauma they experienced or see themselves objectively, etc.)

iii. Under extremely different circumstances from mine (victims of sexual abuse, extreme violence, war, tribal conflict, live in different parts of the world, etc.)

 I am adopting a healthy belief system that includes:

1. I am me. I am not anyone else and no one else is me. What happens to me applies to me and to me alone. What happens to others applies to the others alone. What happens to me does not apply to others. What happens to others does not apply to me. I am me and my life and experiences are my own. Others are just that – others – and their experiences apply to them alone. This includes TV commercials and movies portraying others as having illnesses, tragedies or painful conditions.

2. Overly sympathizing with or internalizing the tragedies or misfortunes of others does not help them at all with whatever they are experiencing

3. Overly sympathizing with or internalizing the tragedies or misfortunes of others inhibits my ability to remain separate from the other person’s problems, making it difficult to assist them if I can

4. Overly sympathizing with or internalizing the tragedies or misfortunes of others makes me miserable for no reason since it makes me worry, wonder, or experience something that I don’t actually have

5. Hearing about another’s misfortune does not make it any more likely that I too have or will experience their misfortune

6. Most misfortunes that I have been or will be exposed to in my lifetime are not applicable to me, or will never occur to me

7. I am a person who enjoys helping others and in order to do so I need to see others as others and myself as myself.

With the old, incorrect belief system debunked and my new belief system in place, I will begin to behave and react emotionally in accordance with my new and accurate belief system:

1. I will be able to observe myself as me – an individual, unique person with my own set of life experience, history and circumstances

2. I will be able to observe people and events as separate from me and inapplicable to me

3. I will sympathize for others by caring but not internalizing or personalizing their misfortunes

4. I will not fear that I am more likely to be a victim of the same misfortune that I am exposed to

5. I will realize that most other people’s circumstances are not applicable or relatable to me

6. I will assist others when I can as an individual who is completely separate, independent, different, and other than the person I am helping who understands and feels for what they are experiencing but who am not myself experiencing it, nor do I fear that I may have now or in the future whatever it is the other person is dealing with.

I will then proceed to know who I am:

1. A healthy

2. Strong

3. Determined

4. Accomplished

5. Ambitious

6. Mentally stable

7. Well-established

8. Intelligent

9. Great father

10. Great husband

11. Member of a great community

12. Whose children attend schools in the community

14. Active, participating and contributing member of my community

15. Great neighbor

16. Good friend

17. Good confidant

18. Helping hand when needed and wanted

19. Always happy and cheerful

20. Put together

21. Gainfully employed

22. Great employee

23. Great employer

24. Who established, runs and grows a great company

25. Respected by neighbors, colleagues, co-workers, community members, friends, etc.

26. Who has and enjoys a great life, relationships, living conditions, working conditions, etc. that I created and maintain.

27. Is a great sibling who is looked up to

1 comment:

  1. What kind of company did you establish and are currently running, if you don't mind me asking? That's a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete